Become A Proofreader And Copy Editor
A proofreader ensures content is free of typographical, grammatical, spelling, punctuation, syntax, & other such errors.
What you’ll learn
- Learn the difference btw Proofreader and Copy Editor
- Learn to proofread on paper and screen
- Learn strategies to check for specific errors
- Learn simple rules for copyediting
- Good command of English Grammar
- Patience and Open Mindedness
- Desire to Become a Proofreader
Proofreaders are normally the members of the publishing team that make sure that documents look and read their best before they are sent to print. Along with being able to recognize errors in written materials, proofreaders must be able to correctly mark the documents for corrections.
However, nowadays, with the help of freelancer marketplaces anyone can become a proofreader and offer their services online.
- Proofreaders can charge around $20-$50 per hour
- Proofreaders can earn per year around $50K working part time
- Proofreaders can work from home or from anywhere in the world
So, ask yourself:
Do you have an eye for spotting typos (and an irresistible urge to fix them)?
Are you detail oriented?
The first step to becoming a proofreader is being clear on what a proofreader does. So, that’s how we start this course, then we will look at strategies and techniques. You will learn sentence structure and punctuation in further lessons.
The amount of money a proofreader makes varies. From interviews with other freelance proofreaders, you can expect to make between $25-$44 per hour as a proofreader.
- Many book proofreaders charge $.02 per word
- Charging $25-$45 per hour is common
- Freelance proofreaders can increase rates after gaining more experience
If you choose a proofreading niche, like proofreading court transcripts, you can earn more per hour.
If you learn how to become a proofreader, you will enjoy more:
- FREEDOM to be home with your kids, leave your 9-to-5 job, and work with who you want, when you want, where you want
- FLEXIBILITY to work when it fits best in your schedule
- FINANCIAL SECURITY side hustles can help you to stop living paycheck-to-paycheck, get rid of debt, take family vacations, and have extra fun money
Plus, proofreading is something you naturally do for free anyway. Why not get paid for those incredible eagle eyes you were blessed with?
So, if you’re excited to get started, I will see you inside!
Author(s): Global Corporate Academy